Call: 813-962-8499

Beware! 5 of the Most Frequently Encountered Toxins Lurking in Your Home That Could Harm Your Furry Friend.

Let’s celebrate National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19-25) by raising awareness about the most frequent household items that could be hazardous to our furry family members.


#1: Medications

We all know our pets will do whatever it takes to get their paws on tasty treats, and unfortunately that can include medications! From an entire packet of beef-flavored heartworm preventives to prescription pills from your own medicine cabinet – if they think it’s edible, dogs especially won’t hesitate in snatching them up. If you suspect your pet has consumed any sort of medication, time is crucial; contact a poison control hotline for proper medical attention immediately as overdoses can be deadly.


#2: Food

The kitchen is a tempting place for your pet and holds many delicious hazards. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol, grapes, and raisins are the most common toxic foods that can cause serious illnesses ranging from kidney failure and seizures to alcohol poisoning and severe hypoglycemia in pets. Prevent your counter-surfing pet from helping you cook in the kitchen, and purchase a locking trash can to keep out inquisitive noses.


#3: Household chemicals

To safeguard your furry friend, ensure that the following typical household chemicals are locked up and out of reach from your pet:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Countless houseplants, and the chemicals that facilitate their growth, are toxic to your furry friends. Lilies, in particular, have a lethal effect on cats; even contact with only its pollen can be fatal. Notable common indoor plants that represent harm for pets include Dieffenbachia species of plants – like elephant ear and spider plant – too! Ivy or oleander from outdoors present danger as well. Before introducing any flower bouquets inside your abode or brooding over landscape designs for your garden plot, make sure it is pet-friendly by checking out ASPCA’s comprehensive list of poisonous flora online!


#5: Batteries and coins

If ingested, coins and batteries can lead to metal poisoning. Should your pet bite into a battery and puncture it, they may suffer from dangerous chemical burns. Moreover, swallowing an intact battery whole could result in a hazardous gastrointestinal blockage.


If you suspect your pet has been exposed to a hazardous substance, don’t hesitate to reach out to us right away.