Call: 813-962-8499

Mastering Pet Safety: How to Keep Your Pets Safe from Toxins

Though our pets are loved members of the family, their natural curiosity can occasionally put them in danger, particularly when it comes to household chemicals. Being able to teach your pets to follow instructions like “leave it,” “stay,” and “drop it” can save their lives by keeping them from consuming dangerous items. In this article, we’ll look at practical training methods to help your pets stay away from toxins and what to do in the event that they come into contact with anything toxic.

Training Techniques to Avoid Toxins:

“Leave It” Command: To ensure your pet’s safety, teach them to obey the “leave it” command. Begin by closing your palm around a goodie. Say “Leave it” if your pet sniffs or paws at your hand. When they retreat or lose interest, reward them with something else. Placing the treat on the ground and covering it with your hand will gradually increase the difficulty. Reward your pet with a treat from the other hand—never the one you’ve asked them to leave—every time they obey an order.

“Stay” Command: The “stay” command can prevent your pet from entering areas where toxins are present. Begin in a quiet environment, ask your pet to sit or lie down, and then use the command “stay” with an open palm hand signal. Step back and reward your pet if they stay put. Increase the time and distance gradually before rewarding. Practice with distractions and in different settings to help you remember the command.

“Drop It” Command: If your pet picks up something dangerous, the “drop it” command can be a lifesaver. Play with a toy first, then offer a pricey treat and say, “Drop it.” Give your pet lots of praise when they give up the toy so they may grab the treat. If you do this regularly, kids will be more likely to obey your instructions if they ever encounter anything dangerous.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Toxin:

Remain Calm: If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, stay calm. Panicking can stress your pet and make the situation worse.

Identify the Toxin: Quickly identify what your pet has ingested. If possible, collect any remaining substance, packaging, or vomit to show your veterinarian.

Contact Your Veterinarian: Immediately call your veterinarian or the nearest animal emergency clinic. They can provide you with specific instructions based on the toxin involved.

Follow Professional Advice: Do not attempt home remedies or induce vomiting unless instructed by a professional. Some substances can cause more damage if vomited.

Training your pet to stay away from toxins is essential to their safety because prevention is always preferable to treatment. Nonetheless, mishaps occur, and emergency preparedness is as crucial as the training. Ensure you have easy access to your veterinarian’s contact information, and you might want to consider prominently putting the Animal Poison Control Center number. Contact us if you would want help teaching your pet to stay away from toxins or if you are worried about any potentially toxic materials in your home.